The leading producer of lac is Jharkhand in India. .It is our natural heritage to sealing the wax. It is also used as wood finish, skin cosmetic and dye for wool and silk in ancient India and neighboring areas. This resin has been used for making traditional and tribal bangles, and still used as sealing wax by the India Post. Lac resin was once imported in sizeable quantity into Europe from India along with Eastern woods. Lac is harvested by cutting the tree branches that hold stick lac. If dye is being produced, the insects are kept in the stick lac because the dye color comes from the insects rather than their resin. They may be killed by exposure to the sun. On the other hand, if seed lac or shellac is being produced, most insects can escape because less colored pale lac is generally more desired. The secretion of produce from small insects and weave a security coating around their own body for protection is known as wax.
Sealing Wax farming by the best Technique
Farm Lac (sealing wax), Reap Lacs
Our attempt. Develop farming and save Environment. Sealing Wax Farming
Sealing Wax is found in a natural form and has commercial importance. In old times this wax was found naturally on the trees like Palash, Ber, Kusum in forests. But presently there is a decline in its production. Therefore the scientists have found techniques to improve its production. Presently the trees of Kusum, Ber and Palash are found less and so farmers can produce good quality Kusumi Sealing Wax easily by sowing the Semialata plants in the fields.
Other Uses of Lac Farming
- LAC AS COLOR & WAX
- FOR BEAUTY PRODUCTS & ADHESIVE
- MAKING OF FOOD & LEATHER INDUSTRY
- IN PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY & OTHER USES
POLISH, VARNISH AND PRINTING INDUSTRY
- In furniture polish
- In polish of goods used in basements, wooden polish,
- To speed up the spreading and drying of printing ink
- In polished clay utensils to protect from heat and water
- In oil paint and red oxide
The use of sealing Wax
- Sealing wax is used very much in our daily life.
- From this wax, Granules and flat Sealing Wax are made which are used in handicrafts, cottage industry, jewellery, electric wires, insulation and 60% of it is used in paints and varnish.
- In pharmaceutical industry it is used in tablets and capsules. It protects the medicine from outside heat and humidity which saves it from damage and increases its life span.
- Sealing Wax is used in coating chocolates and fruits, mainly apples and pears. This saves the fruits from rotting and they look shining and beautiful
Sealing Wax farming on trees
|No.||The First crop||The Second crop|
|1||Type of Insect||Rangeen||Rangeen|
|2||The time of planting Seeds of Sealing Wax(Boodlakh)||June – July||January – February|
|3||The time to remove Foonki(Fungus)||After 21 days||After 21 days|
|4||First spray of Pesticide Thaodin – 20 ml + Bavistin – 3 + 15 liters water||After a month of planting seeds of Sealing Wax||After a month of planting seeds of Sealing Wax|
|5||Second spray of pesticide Nuvan – 6 ml + Bavistin – 3 + 15 liters water||After 2 months of planting seeds of Sealing Wax If there is harassment of fungus due to much humidity and cold||After a2 months of planting seeds of Sealing Wax If there is harassment of fungus due to much humidity and cold|
|6||Third spray of pesticide Nuvan – 6 ml + Bavistin – 3 + 15 lit can be ers water||January – FebruaryWhen bright yellow is seen Female insect changing into baby insect.||June – July When bright yellow is seen Female insect changing into baby insect|
|7||The time for the baby insect coming out of the Female insect||When it is time for the baby insect to come out, cut the branches of Sealing Wax||When it is time for the baby insect to come out, cut the branches of Sealing Wax|
|8||Time to prepare seed Wax||Cut the branches into small pieces and fill in plastic bags with small holes, assort and tie the bags on the nurturing trees.||Cut the branches into small pieces and fill in plastic bags with small holes, assort and tie the bags on the nurturing trees.|
|9||The period to ready the Sealing Wax Crop||6 months||6 months|
The qualities in Semialata needed for Sealing Wax farming:
- The garden of Semialata can be prepared within a year.
- Lac farming can be started the year after the garden is ready.
- The crop can be preserved easily because the plants are short.
- Kusumi Lac gives more returns than Rangini because of the reasons above.
- Ladies can do all Lac farming related tasks easily.
- Because the leaves are in clusters, the roots emit Nitrogen in the ground.
- Plants can be trimmed during harvest.
The method of Lac farming
- After discussion between the farmer and the company, the farmer should clean his farm and keep it ready for planting the plants
- After receiving the plants from the company, the plants should be planted with a gap of 1 meter and there should be 0.5 meter space between two lines of plants. This helps easy circulation of air. Weed can be removed with the help of machines. Then vegetables can be grown in the empty space
- After plantation, watering should be done as per the advice of experts and remove the weed and sprinkle pesticides.
- One year after plantation, in June or January (whichever comes first), the preparation to attach the insects should be done.
- After the insects are attached, in the first and second month and from time to time as guided by the scientist and as per the need to resist the enemy insects, pesticide and antifungal medicine should be sprinkled.
- If any problem is detected in the farm, it should be immediately informed to our specialists and steps should be taken as per their advice.
|Land||No. of Plants|
|10 guntha||1,000 plants|
|20 guntha||2,000 plants|
|30 guntha||3,000 plants|
|40 guntha||4,000 plants|
Estimated production and profit on Lac from 4,000 Semialata plants on 1 acre of land
|No of plants||Production of Every plant||Total production||Estimated Price (Rs)||Estimated Profit (Rs)|
|4,000||500 gm||2,000 Kg||320 per Kg||6,40,000|
|4,000||250 gm||1,000 Kg||320 per Kg||3,20,000|
- The cost of each sapling will be Rs. 50 /- (fertilizer, pesticide, technical information, preservation)
- At the time of booking the saplings, 40% advance payment in the Company’s name will be taken. The form will be filled after that. It is necessary to enclose a passport size photo and the photocopy of voting card.
- Do not forget to take the receipt at the time of payment.
- The saplings will be delivered after 40 to 45 days of booking. 30 % payment should be deposited before delivery.
- After 5 to 6 months, at the time of attaching the insects 30% payment should be given.
- Advance will be taken 15 days prior.
- It is important to note that booking will not be done without any payment.
Selling your production
- Our company itself buys the Lac produced by the farmers.
- The farmer can sell the Lac produced in the open market.
- If the market prices are low they can sell the product to the government on rates fixed by the government.
- Our company will buy at Rs. 320/- per kg as Government’s M.S. P.
Preservation of Lac
- The ready produce of Lac should be spread in a dry and humidity free room.
- Arrangement for air circulation should be good. During preservation if the air is circulated on intervals, there is no possibility of the Lac getting stuck.
The expense of Rs. 2, 00000 for Lac farm9ing on 4,000 Semialata plants
- 4,000 saplings prepared in a nursery (Rs. 50 per sapling)
- 64 Kg Bio fertilizer necessary for plantation.
- Growth Promoter (Indigo) 1 liter needed for the development of the plants.
- 80 Kg of Bud Lac needed when the plant grows enough to attach the insects.
- Nylon net and hemp thread needed to attach the insects.
- Necessary insecticide (800 gm) and antifungal medicine (400 ml) to resist the infection from enemy insects.
- For 10 months the guidance of experts every month.
The Economic side of Lac
|Expense (In Rs)||First Year||Second Year||Third Year||Fourth Year||Fifth Year||Sixth Year|
|Sapling per acre ( Rs. 50 per sapling)||2,00,000|
|Expense to prepare land||10,000|
|Yearly expense for farm maintenance||10,000||10,000||10,000||10,000||10,000||10,000|
|Labor expense for picking||10,000||10,000||10,000||10,000||10,000||10,000|
|Expense for maintenance||2,38,000||2,61,000|
|Income||First Year||Second Year||Third Year||Fourth Year||Fifth Year||Sixth Year|
|Estimated yearly income||—||3,00,000||3,84,000||5,12,000||5,12,000||5,12,000|
|Yearly Net profit||59,000||3,61,000||4,89,000||4,89,000||4,89,000|
|Lac produce (Per tree)||250 gm||300 gm||400 gm||400 gm||400 gm||400 gm|
|Price per Kg (as per govt., M. S. P)||Rs. 320/-||Rs. 320/-||Rs. 320/-||Rs. 320/-||Rs. 320/-|